Friday, December 16, 2011

[Flashback Friday] 5.28- 31. Plastic Bag Skull

Welcome to another addition of Flashback Friday.** This year the guest editors, Tatman, Azurafae, and myself, Citizen Agent, are taking turns reflecting on 17 of our personal favorite skulls from the previous four years of postings. So please join us as we visit the archives and add our additional commentary on some of the original pieces.

31. Plastic Bag Skull


PE-HD C says:

This skull came to mind recently as I shopped at my favorite convenience store named after a bird. About a month ago the store was aflutter with signs about no longer giving plastic bags unless requested by the customer. I thought this was a wonderful move since I was getting tired of asking not to have a bag when I got a drink and a bag of chips. I was happy to see a sense of responsibility was being placed on the consumer to cut down on their plastic consumption. Recently however, at check out, everything ended up in a bag and I paused for a second and realized that all the signs had since been removed. I casually inquired about the signs and was told that too many people complained about having to ask for a bag so it was easier to just go back to the old ways- no I wasn't in Amish country. Today's skull visualizes the death of a positive move to change our culture of convenience, a positive move that we should not just morn, but complain about giving into what is easy rather than staying with something that is tougher, but right.

**Flashback Friday was a weekly countdown of the fan selected top 52 skulls of Skull-A-Day 1.0. Each week during year 3.0 The Skullmaster posted the original skull along with some additional commentary in order from lowest to highest rated, with the #1 skull appearing in the last week of year 3.0, all 52 can be found here. During year 4.0 the editors had their chance to countdown their favorites Azurafae HERE, Citizen Agent HERE, and Tatman HERE.

No comments: